Posted 12 May 2023, 2:00 pm
Staff Software Developer at BackerKit
BackerKit enables thousands of creators worldwide to focus on doing what they love. For over a decade, our software has been the premier platform for crowdfunding backer management. And last year, we launched our own crowdfunding platform, making us for the first time a true one-stop shop! All of our offerings have a single goal: to empower crowdfunding creators to manage their creative endeavors with confidence.
We’re a profitable, self-funded start-up of around 50 people with a diverse, close-knit team that prizes creativity, enthusiasm, and a willingness to learn.
We have a small-yet-effective US-distributed engineering team. We are looking for a Staff level software developer (an individual contributor) to take us to the next level. Perhaps that is you!
Our tech stack
BackerKit is a Ruby on Rails “majestic monolith” deployed on Heroku. The codebase has been around since 2012, so it has seen some things. Despite that, it is generally well-factored and well-tested - we’ve been tending this garden for a decade! We are on the most recent versions of Ruby and Rails, and have adopted some new technology in our recently-launched crowdfunding platform, such as Hotwire and Tailwind, to leverage additions from the Rails ecosystem. We’re all about finding the right tool for the job, while getting utility out of what we’re already using.
For this role, we’re looking for someone with:
— Deep knowledge of Ruby and Rails
— Experience working on multiple such projects over time
— Ability to zoom out to big-picture thinking (i.e., architecture or business level), while remaining comfortable bushwhacking in the weeds
Our process stack
We prioritize fast iteration, shipping small experiments to make sure we’re constantly learning from our customers, and solving the problem in front of us.
To serve that, we are a pair-programming, test-driven-development, one-week-iteration type of shop. We have a mature continuous integration setup, and though we aren’t all in on continuous deployment, we do deploy multiple times a day.
We are small-a agile, which means no component of our process is sacrosanct. Weekly retrospectives (among other things) help make sure that our processes evolve as we do. As one of our most senior folks, we hope you’ll contribute thoughtfully to those discussions and experiments, bringing your unique experience to bear.
For this role, we’re looking for someone with the following experience:
– Building a web product in an iterative, small-a agile environment
– Frequent pair programming - excited to use it daily to learn and teach
– Test-driving and automated testing in general - can have thoughtful discussions about when and how much to test code
Our work style
None of the developers at BackerKit are expected to “stay in their lane,” particularly at the Staff level. We have a small team of product managers, designers, and developers who are jointly responsible for creating and improving the product.
Devs at all levels are often working directly with internal and external stakeholders, so experience working with people outside the development team is a must. Strong communication and consensus-building skills - with all types of folks - are also essential.
We support all US-based time zones and want you to work the hours that make sense for you. We currently have “core hours” from 9am-1pm Pacific time, where we schedule our synchronous meetings.\n
Some of the things a Staff Software Developer will do here:
- Align with the Head of Engineering on priorities and initiatives
- Cultivate and sustain team working culture and philosophies
- Make important technical decisions that have sweeping consequences for our customers and the business
- Serve as the go-to person for tough technical issues
- Develop both a macro- and micro-level understanding of the codebase
- Rotate through pair programming with all the members of the development team, to help level everyone up
- Mentor and champion less-experienced developers
- Communicate, communicate, communicate! This is not a role with lots of heads-down solo work
- Understand our users. Everyone at BackerKit is customer-facing, and we expect everyone to get to know the project creators and backers that we are serving (plus, they are awesome, just like you!)
- Take actual breaks and vacations - no off-hours or weekend work except when the app experiences unforeseen issues (which does not happen often)
- Remote-first position on a distributed team
- Competitive salary and stock option plan
- Stipends for supporting creators of your choosing
- Medical, dental, vision, and 401k benefits (with employer match!)
- Family-friendly and focused on maintaining a healthy work/life balance
- Awesome work environment at a company with a huge vision
- Annual Learning and Development stipend to support your professional growth
Research shows that while men apply for jobs when they meet an average of 60% of the criteria, women and other underrepresented groups tend to only apply when they check every box. So, if you think you have what it takes but don't necessarily meet every single point listed below, please apply - you could be exactly who we are looking for!
Please click here to learn more about our interviewing process.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
We here at BackerKit will always respect pronouns and identities when addressing candidates who feel comfortable sharing theirs.
BackerKit is committed to a culture of inclusion and belonging. We believe that crowdfunding is for everyone, and strive to build a company that reflects the diverse backgrounds of the creators we currently serve and hope to serve in the future.
Please mention the word **EASIER** and tag RNDQuMjM0LjE1MS4xMzY= when applying to show you read the job post completely (#RNDQuMjM0LjE1MS4xMzY=). This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human.
The offering company is responsible for the content on this page / the job offer.
Source: Remote Ok