Posted 10 Nov 2023, 10:05 am
Workplace ESL Instructor at World Relief
World Relief is a global Christian humanitarian organization that is fighting for change that lasts, right here in the U.S. and across the globe. We bring sustainable solutions to the world’s greatest problems – disasters, extreme poverty, violence, oppression, and mass displacement. The organization is approximately 75 years old and has worked in over 100 countries around the world since its founding.
In the United States, we come alongside local churches, community organizations and hundreds of individual volunteers to support newly arriving refugee and other immigrant families. Today, we are proud to partner with over 6,000 local churches, and 95,000 volunteers globally to bring hope, healing and transformation to the most vulnerable.
Are you a person of compassion? An advocate for justice? Someone who stands up for the rights of the vulnerable and speaks out for the marginalized, the exploited and the forgotten? Do you believe in our calling as Christians to welcome the least of these and love our neighbor?
If you answered ‘yes’, to any of the above, World Relief, and millions of people around the world need you.
The Workplace ESL Instructor works with World Relief Memphis’ (WRM) Connect Language Center (CLC) team to deliver on the mission of the Connect Language Center to “build belonging by creating community spaces in quality ESL programming, teacher training, and cross-cultural education opportunities.” This role provides high-quality ESL instruction for NNS as part of our Company English program, which offers workplace ESL classes at the request of companies for their NNS employees. This role also works closely with the partnering companies to understand their English language objectives and makes necessary adjustments to the curriculum and instructional approach.\n
Role & Responsibilities
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Provide high-quality ESL instruction for NNS as part of the CLC’s Company English program
- Develop and deliver lessons for a multi-level class using selected texts and supplemental materials
- Provide instruction that is consistent and coordinated with the instructional program so as to ensure that learners in attendance meet and exceed learning targets
- Provide a nurturing and supportive learning environment that encourages learners to take responsibility and incorporates growth-oriented instructional strategies
- Employ a variety of instructional techniques and strategies to meet different aptitudes and interests of the learner
- Facilitate classroom group discussion to empower students to analyze situations and draw conclusions
- Design scaffolded lesson plans and develop curriculum materials focused on basic language skills using the communicative approach
- Motivate and make learning accessible as well as stimulating and while promoting an interactive classroom with a heavy emphasis on student participation
- Develop lessons appropriate to method of delivery: in-person, remote, or hybrid
- Integrate digital literacy, basic math concepts, reading skills, and career pathways into English language instruction and practice as needed
- Maintain clear records of grades, assessments, and lesson materials using WRM record keeping tools and processes
- Create a learning environment that is welcoming, accessible, engaging, and active
- Address all language skills in the classroom – speaking, listening, reading, and writing with an emphasis placed on literacy and life skills
- Maintain a positive relationship with company partners with the aim to retain strong partners for ongoing collaboration
- Seek ongoing feedback from partner companies to ensure course delivery aligns with company objectives for employees in ESL classes
- Provide progress reports to partner companies at intervals specified in partnership agreements
- Facilitate classroom celebrations and milestones such as end of cycle parties when appropriate
- Collaborate with team members in the Connect Language Center and other WRM departments to ensure effective and efficient programming and organizational processes
- When appropriate, collaborate with WRM volunteer coordinators to provide meaningful tasks for volunteers to engage with students or classroom needs
- Willingness to teach ESL classes at the Connect Language Center or other location when assigned by supervisor and as schedule permits
- Complete a minimum of fifteen hours of professional development each fiscal year
- Attend department and staff meetings as determined by supervisor
- Participate in CLC and WRM events as determined by supervisor
- Conduct student assessments and record attendance
- Follow communication procedures related to student progress and absences with the partner company’s supervisor
- Complete monthly reports (i.e., attendance, volunteer hours, and lessons plans) as scheduled to ensure program compliance
- Maintain clear records of grades, assessments, and lesson materials
- Collect student work samples at regular intervals
- Assist in printing of student course completion certificates and documentation
- Administer academic and language assessments for the purpose of evaluating the learners progress for meeting academic learning targets and progress in language acquisition
- Perform other duties as assigned by supervisor
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and cross-cultural skills, including ability to communicate and build lasting relationships and partnerships with students, community partners, volunteers, and staff
- Self-starter who takes initiative and can plan and achieve goals with minimal supervision
- Must be organized with attention to detail
- Availability to work on a variable schedule; some late morning starts or evening classes may be required.
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written)
- A strong desire to collaborate and support the team for the greater good of all students
- Sensitivity to the development stages and well-being of ELLs; able to simplify language to accommodate limited English proficiency
- Excellent computer skills, including fluency with Microsoft Office and Outlook, as well as ability to manage data
- Bi-lingual language skills strongly preferred
- Mature and personal Christian faith
- Committed to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief
- Desire to serve and empower the Church to impact vulnerable communities
- Able to affirm and/or acknowledge World Reliefs Core Beliefs, Statement of Faith, Christian Identity and National Evangelicals For the Health of The Nation document
- A desire to serve immigrants and refugees in support of World Relief’s mission, vision and values
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural skills
- M.A. in TESOL OR approved TESOL Certificate with related MA, or BA with TEFL certificate and relevant experience
- ESL teaching experience or teaching internship
- Experience and/or interest in teaching pre-literate learners
- Ability to work in a challenging, fluid and often changing environment
- Proficient digital literacy skills to teach on-line or in-person and utilize educational technology
- Enjoy learning, teaching, and helping others
- Able to teach mornings, afternoons, and/or evenings (flexible)
- Valid driver’s license, ability to pass a motor vehicle background check, and willingness to provide student transportation if needed
World Relief offers a competitive benefits package (25 hours + per week):
- Medical, Dental, Vision
- Offer 16 company Paid Holidays + 4 additional Personal days per year!
- Paid Sick and Vacation Time
- Paid Parental Leave (12 weeks for qualified employees)
- FSAs: Medical & Dependent Care, & Commuter Funding
- Supplemental Life Insurance (employee, spouse, and children)
- Critical Illness, Hospital Indemnity, and Accident insurance policies
- Legal Shield Insurance
World Relief pays 100% for eligible employees:
- Group Term Life (employee, spouse, and children)
- Long Term & Short-term Disability
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D)
- Long Distance Travel Insurance
World Relief offers a competitive benefits package for Part-time positions (less than 25 hours per week):
- Offer 16 Paid Holidays
- Sick time available as required by state/local law
All part-time employees are eligible for the following benefits:
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
World Relief - Retirement:
- Eligibility: After 1000 hours in a year
- Automatically enrolled at 4%
- 401K & Roth through Fidelity
- WR matches up to 4%, then an additional quarter percent up to 10%
World Relief Discounts (Immediately Eligible):
- Pet Insurance through Nationwide
- Home and Auto insurance through Liberty Mutual
- Working Advantage Discount Program
- Active & Fit Gym Membership
World Relief is honored to be recognized with the Silver-level Cigna Healthy Workforce Designation for exceeding the core components of our well-being program including leadership and culture, program foundations and execution, and whole person health.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations
· The ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-15 pounds.
· Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read application information.
· The employee frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear.
· General office setting. World Relief also offers hybrid and remote schedules for limited positions.
· Great lengths of time working on computer, reading from computer screen, entering information, standing at copier or fax machine, and some time on the phone or in virtual meetings may be required.
· Year-end archiving activities involve repeated lifting and bending.
· Physical, emotional and intellectual demands
· Equipment used: Employee computer (desktop or laptop), printer, and copier.
· All of the above duties and responsibilities are essential job functions subject to reasonable accommodation. All job requirements listed indicate the minimum level of knowledge, skills and/or ability deemed necessary to perform the job proficiently. This job description is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements. Individuals may be required to perform any other job-related instructions as requested by their supervisor, subject to reasonable accommodation. This position description is not all-inclusive and is always under review.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V.
For World Relief staff, strong commitment to the mission, vision, and values of World Relief is essential, and Christian faith is a prerequisite for employment, based upon United States federal guidelines provided in Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964.
Legal Background in the United States
World Relief is both an equal opportunity employer and a faith-based religious organization. World Relief strictly prohibits and does not tolerate unlawful discrimination against employees on the basis of person’s race, color, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law, which does not conflict with the protections afforded World Relief as a faith-based employer.
In addition, physical or mental limitations will not be a factor in the application of World Relief's employment policies or employee practices, except for those situations in which occupational requirement make consideration of such factors necessary.
Pursuant to the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Section 702 (42 U.S.C. 2000e 1(a) World Relief has the right to, and does, hire only candidates who agree with World Relief’s Statement of Faith.
Please mention the word **FLAWLESSLY** and tag RMy4yMjUuMjIxLjM3 when applying to show you read the job post completely (#RMy4yMjUuMjIxLjM3). This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human.
The offering company is responsible for the content on this page / the job offer.
Source: Remote Ok