Posted 3 Nov 2023, 10:00 am
Engineering Lead at Ad Hoc Company Website
This is a fully remote position.
Work on things that matter
Ad Hoc is a digital services company that helps the federal government better serve people. Our teams use modern, agile methods to design and engineer government systems that connect Veterans with services, bring affordable health care to millions of people, and support important programs like Head Start. And as we work to make critical government services intuitive, accessible, and human-centered, we’re also changing how the government thinks about and uses technology. If you thrive on change, want to help close the gap between consumer expectations and government services, and can see the possibilities in ambiguity, then we want you here with us.
What matters most
Ad Hoc operates according to our commitment to inclusivity, acceptance, accountability, and humility. We aren’t heroes. We believe in missions larger than our individual selves and leave our egos at the door, learn from our mistakes, and iterate in order to better serve the people in our country. We prioritize building teams that represent the diversity of the people our government serves. We love the challenge of government-size projects. We want to bring skills to federal agencies, help them better meet the needs of their users, and close the gap between consumer expectations and government.
Built for a remote life
Ad Hoc is remote-first and remote-always. We’ve designed our culture, communications, and tools to support a nationwide distributed team since the beginning. Being remote by design allows Ad Hoc to be thoughtful and intentional about creating diverse teams and supporting them with a work environment that fits their lives. With a generous PTO policy and Slack channels for every interest (from bird watching to space nerds to parenting) our culture embraces the things happening in your life. Maybe you need to adjust your schedule to care for your family or take a bike ride. At Ad Hoc, that’s embraced.
The Federal Civilian business unit supports a wide range of customers that span the federal, commercial, and nonprofit space. Our customers include the General Services Administration, Office of Personnel Management, PAN Foundation, Library of Congress, Social Security Administration, Health and Human Services, and the USDA Forest Service. We partner with these agencies to build new capabilities, deliver products, establish data as a strategic asset for informed decision-making, modernize legacy systems, and build the digital service infrastructure necessary to scale their mission impact.
As an Engineering Lead, you will be responsible for working with leadership to shape the technical direction of the program, while gaining exposure into people management. An Engineering Lead is a people manager, leader, and mentor with the ability to cross-functionally lead program delivery. You are an emerging subject matter expert that is developing the skills to successfully lead through team members and effectively communicate and execute against program and organizational objectives. In this role, an Engineering Lead will support leadership in partnering with peers to meet delivery requirements. Primary expectations of an Engineering Lead include:
- Develops an understanding of program scope, schedule and cost management; with the support of leadership, articulates contractual delivery requirements to team members
- Provides coaching and development to engineering team members, and works with leadership to define growth goals and development plans, and creates a culture where people can learn and evolve
- Serves as a mentor, supporting 2 - 3 Engineers in technical direction and career management
- Leads team processes and seeks out best practices to fill gaps
- Develops collaboration skills to partner with key stakeholders to represent the engineering practice in advocating for the best technical solutions while communicating tradeoffs
- Development of effective written communication and presentation skills to describe systems, design decisions, and past performance
- May participate in bid-writing, tech demos, strategic planning, and other client-facing communications
- Presents program's ongoing engineering work, future goals, and risks
- Development of influential skills to translate and communicate technical challenges and roadmaps
- Participates in interviews with new candidates and develops/grades homework
- Responsible for hiring, performance management, timecard reviews, PTO management and team development
- Bachelor’s degree and 7+ years of experience
- Experience with standing up a database
- Experience with Data Lakes
- SQL / creating schemas etc.
- 2+ years of mentoring and coaching experience; experience with communicating and leading tasking efforts to support delivery
- Extensive experience with software development, customer interactions, formal and informal communication, and mentorship
- General understanding of government contracting requirements and regulations
- Experience with Mainframes
- Data architecture experience
- AWS Experience
- Company-subsidized Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance
- Use What You Need Vacation Policy
- 401K with employer match
- Paid parental leave after one year of service
Ad Hoc LLC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, age, pregnancy, disability, work-related injury, covered veteran status, political ideology, marital status, or any other factor that the law protects from employment discrimination.
Ad Hoc job descriptions feature the starting range we reasonably expect to pay to candidates who would join our team with little to no need for training on the responsibilities we've outlined above. Actual compensation is influenced by a wide range of factors including but not limited to skill set, level of experience, and responsibility. The range of starting pay for this role is $140,000 - $150,000 and information on benefits offered is here. Our recruiters will be happy to answer any questions you may have, and we look forward to learning more about your salary requirements.
To learn more about working at Ad Hoc, please visit: https://adhocteam.us/join/
Job Reference: 2173
Please mention the word **POISED** and tag RMTA3LjE3OC4yMzYuOA== when applying to show you read the job post completely (#RMTA3LjE3OC4yMzYuOA==). This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human.
The offering company is responsible for the content on this page / the job offer.
Source: Remote Ok