Posted 1 Nov 2023, 10:01 am
Senior Backend Engineer at Netlify
About the Team:
At Netlify, our engineers are at the core of our mission to become the de facto composable platform for every enterprise company. Netlify has been remote-first since our inception and we’re globally distributed, spanning across North America and Europe. We’re biased towards asynchronous planning and communication and take documentation seriously, meaning fewer meetings and more execution!
As a Senior Backend Engineer (Typescript, NodeJS, GraphQL, and a willingness to jump into other languages/frontend if needed) at Netlify, you'll work with a smart and empathetic set of team members who are very motivated to keep learning and continuing to grow each other in a supportive way. You can expect to deploy code multiple times a day with a massive production scale, directly impacting millions of developers all around the world. We foster a blameless culture where we solve problems as a team and everyone works together towards a common goal.
What You’ll Do:
- Consistently delivering product features within your pillar and owning the systems from beginning to end, including expanding functionality, testing and debugging, investigating production issues, and shipping code that directly impacts important user experience and business metrics.
- Gain extensive knowledge about Netlify and dive deeply into our codebase to become familiar with its inner workings. You’ll be using your extensive NodeJS and Typescript knowledge and technical breadth to ship clean, quality code and follow modern development conventions.
- Partner with the team to manage the GraphQL API.
- With over 10% of Internet users visiting at least one site hosted by Netlify every 30 days, you’ll be well-versed in designing for scale to enable the performance of our systems.
- You’ll be partnering closely with other cross-functional peers, including Product Managers, Designers, Technical Writers, and Support Engineers to broaden your connections across the organization and enable significant organizational impact.
- Establish strong async communication rhythms with your peers and leaders, practicing transparency and visibility in your progress against areas of focus.
- Join the on-call rotation and help the team pay down technical debt and improve reliability.
- Solicit feedback from your peers, including other engineers and teammates in your product team, and support your team through thoughtful feedback.
- Continually improving our engineering standards through code reviews, advocating for continuous improvement within our code base, and making a meaningful impact on Netlify’s engineering practice and tooling
- Growing your skills by participating in our community as we learn and grow together
What You'll Bring:
- Strong development expertise with several years of experience in developing production-level Typescript / NodeJS-centered projects. While our main language is TypeScript, we also have projects that span across multiple languages. We believe in picking the right language for the right problem.
- Exposure to GraphQL and experience in creating and managing GraphQL APIs is strongly preferred.
- An extensive history of delivering product features & deploying services with a high level of comfort iterating on a system while it is constantly serving traffic. Our system is always on with demanding availability and throughput challenges.
- Ability to work well independently and quickly ramp up. You’re not afraid to ask questions in order to unblock yourself
- Demonstrated pattern of delivering high-quality, performant code with a strong appetite for learning
- Curiosity and openness to learning new technologies and best practices
- Passion for working in a collaborative environment, where you enjoy working with a diverse group of people with different expertise working across distributed locations around the world and a deep appreciation for documentation and asynchronous communication practices.
- The ability to thrive in an environment where experimentation and failure are celebrated
- We welcome remote candidates based in North American timezones
- Comfortable working in an environment that is constantly evolving. At Netlify, we’re always iterating, learning, and growing and we’re looking for team members who thrive in that environment.
Not sure you meet 100% of our qualifications? Please apply anyway!
When applying please include:
A resume or short listing of your job history & skills (link to a LinkedIn profile would be fine). We appreciate a cover letter explaining why you would enjoy working in this role at Netlify to get to know you a bit better, though this is not required and will not impact your application. Our mission is to “build a better web” and that cannot be done without a diversity of skill sets, backgrounds and thoughts.
Of everything we've ever built at Netlify, we are most proud of our team. Netlify is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are devoted to building a team of people with diverse backgrounds and lifestyles. Driving equality empowers our team, enables us to innovate, and helps us maintain a more inclusive environment. We don’t discriminate against employees or applicants based on gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, religion, age, race, military/veteran status, citizenship, pregnancy status, or any other differences. If we can do anything to provide a better interview, i.e. accommodate a disability, then please let us know by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Netlify, we’re on a mission to build a better web by making it easier than ever to build, deploy, and scale web applications. We are a Series D company with a $2B valuation and have raised over $200M from investors such as Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, EQT, Bessemer, BOND and Menlo Ventures. As a globally distributed organization, we aim to create a company culture where the best idea can come from anywhere and strive to be thoughtful, caring, and collaborative in our work within and across teams. To learn a bit more about our team and who we are, make sure to visit our About page.
At Netlify, we are committed to equal pay for equal work. Netlify anchors our compensation philosophy on a market-based approach, therefore salary ranges may differ depending on the cost of labor in a particular location. Our base compensation for this role is targeted at $136,000 to $184,000 for most US-based locations. Candidates based outside of the US or in premium markets such as New York City, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Boston, Seattle, and Austin should consult with their Talent Acquisition partner regarding location-based ranges, as they may be higher or lower than the average US range listed. The starting pay will be determined based on multiple factors, including expertise and skills, market demands, experience, internal equity, and applicable geographic location. The salary provided is in addition to robust benefits and participation in Netlify’s equity plan. These compensation packages and ranges are subject to change and may be modified in the future. Your Talent Acquisition partner will be available to answer any questions during the hiring process.
Please mention the word **OUTSHINE** and tag RMTE3LjEzMi4xODguMjA2 when applying to show you read the job post completely (#RMTE3LjEzMi4xODguMjA2). This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human.
The offering company is responsible for the content on this page / the job offer.
Source: Remote Ok