Posted 15 Nov 2022, 2:11 pm
Search Infrastructure & Data Engineer Tumblr at Automattic Careers
Tumblr launched in 2007 with the belief that people need a place to say what they want, be who they want, and connect over what they love. We continue to build out Tumblr as a platform for free expression, individuality, and human connection. A key part of fostering an ecosystem of free expression is getting the right content in front of the audience who is most interested in it.
Tumblr’s Search Team is looking for a motivated and independent engineer who is excited to develop and maintain our search infrastructure to surface the best content from billions of posts (videos, GIFs, memes, etc) and give users control to sort, filter, and explore it.. You’ll have the ability to influence the content included in thousands of sessions per second, and will solve problems pertaining to the retrieval, ranking, filtering, and personalization of content viewed on Tumblr through mobile applications and on the website. Help us make social media a beautiful experience.
Engineers at Automattic are responsible for the engines of Automattic: a variety of codebases and systems devoted to making the web a better place.
In this role, you’ll likely:
- Deploy high-performance distributed systems for search and discovery across billions of posts.
- Iterate on the systems powering Tumblr’s Search and Dashboards with a constant eye on improving the user experience.
- Explore and implement new signals and features to improve content quality and relevancy.
- Launch A/B tests and perform analysis to validate hypotheses, and build tools to enable continuous experimentation.
- Build out new content datasets using Elasticsearch, Hadoop, Kafka, Druid, Flink and/or Spark.
- Maintain a fleet of Elasticsearch servers via Kubernetes to keep the search and discovery services running and performing well.
- Continuously improve and evolve our approaches to search quality and relevance.
- Work closely with our Systems and SRE teams to craft and maintain architectures that support efficient development and deployment of your ideas.
We are looking for:
- Experience deploying,maintaining and scaling production search systems.
- Experience with Elasticsearch, Solr, or Lucene.
- Proficiency in PHP, Java, and/or Scala; deep knowledge in Information Retrieval, and/or algorithms.
- Familiarity with Hadoop and MapReduce, including frameworks such as Spark.
- Desirable / nice to have: Experience in Airflow, Kafka, Flink
- A desire to build a safe and inspiring search experience for our users and a passion to help everyone express their true selves, regardless of their income, gender, race, politics, language, or where they live in the world.
- Excitement to join a globally distributed team. Familiarity with remote work is welcome.
Some tools we use:
- PHP, Java, Scala, Python, Golang
- Elasticsearch, Lucene
- Hadoop, Spark, Flink, Kafka
- Kubernetes, Airflow
- MySQL, Memcached, Redis
Here are some areas in which you can grow and have further impact in the future at the company:
- Leadership – we offer a variety of leadership options to those who have interest, including becoming a team lead and managing releases.
- Learning and development – we have a generous personal development budget and encourage you to grow your skills through courses, books and conferences.
- Architecture – we encourage developers to develop expertise in the systems they work with, guide their evolution and mentor other developers working on them.
- Engineering effectiveness – we believe in helping other developers become more effective through tools, practices, cross-team collaborations, and process improvements.
How do we work?
- We’re kind to each other and our users – we strive to build a positive, supportive, and inclusive culture of cohesive teams focused on delivering value to our customers.
- We work as a global and distributed workforce resulting in a unique way of working built around our creed.
- We offer flexible work arrangements allowing our team members to work when they feel best.
- We open-source! We’re cool with open-sourcing everything except passwords, or secret keys.
- We ship often, deploying many times daily with the help of peer code review, continuous integration, and our global workforce in over 70 countries.
- We welcome collaboration, and you can be involved in any discussion across our many communication channels.
Please mention the word **COMMENDABLY** and tag RMTk1LjIwLjI0MS40OQ== when applying to show you read the job post completely (#RMTk1LjIwLjI0MS40OQ==). This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human.
The offering company is responsible for the content on this page / the job offer.
Source: Remote Ok