Posted 8 Nov 2022, 2:45 pm
Senior Mechanical Engineer at Planet
Welcome to Planet. We believe in using space to help life on Earth.
Planet designs, builds, and operates the largest constellation of imaging satellites in history. This constellation delivers an unprecedented dataset of empirical information via a revolutionary cloud-based platform to authoritative figures in commercial, environmental, and humanitarian sectors. We are both a space company and data company all rolled into one.
Customers and users across the globe use Planet's data to develop new technologies, drive revenue, power research, and solve our world’s toughest obstacles.
As we control every component of hardware design, manufacturing, data processing, and software engineering, our office is a truly inspiring mix of experts from a variety of domains.
We have a people-centric approach toward culture and community and we strive to iterate in a way that puts our team members first and prepares our company for growth. Join Planet and be a part of our mission to change the way people see the world.
Planet is a global company with employees working remotely world wide and joining us from offices in San Francisco, Washington DC, Germany, and The Netherlands.
About the Role:
The Mechanical Engineering team at Planet is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to help drive the design of key spacecraft subsystems across Planet’s fleet of Earth-imaging satellites! Your mission will be to champion our spacecraft design efforts, from the subsystem level, all the way up to the top-level spacecraft. The ideal candidate will be a seasoned mechanical designer who has led mechanical engineering efforts across multiple programs from conceptual design through to flight. As a member of the Mechanical Engineering team within Planet’s Space Systems division, you will be a key contributor and stakeholder in Planet’s agile aerospace approach to spacecraft design, and will work hand-in-glove with structural analysis, thermal engineering, and reliability & qualification, as well as the rest of Planet’s leading-edge spacecraft design and manufacturing teams.
Impact You’ll Own:
- Own the mechanical design and architecture on key spacecraft subsystems across Planet’s satellite fleet
- Drive documentation and presentation of new designs throughout design process, e.g. across design review gates
- Collaborate with structural analysis team to drive / perform analyses on key spacecraft subsystems to meet stiffness and strength requirements
- Drive part / assembly tolerancing using GD&T, and own release of drawing packages for part fabrication
- Drive part / assembly design and fabrication at key subsystem vendors
- Collaborate with manufacturing team to implement key spacecraft design for manufacturing (DFM) and design for assembly (DFA) features
- Support ICD development and release of key interfaces
- Support test planning and qualification test campaigns
- Support debugging and root-causing on-orbit anomalies
- Be hands on with flight and test hardware. We like engineers who get their hands dirty.
What You Bring:
- 5+ years experience owning products from requirements, thru conceptual design, and into test and manufacturing
- Expertise in computer-aided design (CAD) software and Product Lifecycle Management software. SolidWorks preferred, though not necessary
- Seasoned experience in and passion for analyzing and root-causing problems quickly and efficiently
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related engineering or science degree
- High proficiency using GD&T and drafting standards to generate good, low cost parts
- Experience with design and fabrication of composites and metal components
- Hands-on experience with dynamic hardware builds, vibration and shock testing
- Self-motivation and a strong sense of ownership over one’s work in a dynamic and fast-paced environment
- Outstanding verbal and visual communication skills
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Masters degree in Mechanical Engineering or other related engineering or science degree
- >5 years of experience designing spacecraft, aircraft, or automotive components
- Designed products for low or mid volume serial production and have a strong understanding of the tradeoffs between manufacturing methods for these volumes
- Ability to drive manufacturers and DFM/DFA
- Expertise in optics / opto-mechanical hardware or mechanisms
- Proficiency in Matlab, Visual Basic, Python and/or C
Benefits While Working at Planet:
- Comprehensive Health Plan
- Wellness program and onsite massages in specific offices
- Flexible Time Off
- Recognition Programs
- Commuter Benefits
- Learning and Tuition Reimbursement
- Parental Leave
- Offsites and Happy Hours
- Volunteering Benefits
Some Press About Us:
Tiny, privately owned satellites are changing how we view the Earth features in NBC News
Why we care so much about Belonging.
We’re dedicated to helping the whole Planet, and to do that we must strive to represent all of it within each of our offices and on all of our teams. That’s why Planet is guided by an ultimate north star of Belonging, dreaming big as we approach our ongoing work with diversity, equity and inclusion. If this job intrigues you, but you’re thinking you might not have all the qualifications, please... do apply! At Planet, we are looking for well-rounded people from around the world who can contribute to more ways than just what is listed in this job description. We don’t just fill positions, we aspire to fulfill people’s careers, most excited about folks who are motivated by our underlying humanitarian efforts. We are a few orbits around the sun before we get to where we want to be, so we hope you’re excited to come along for the ride.
Planet is committed to building a community where everyone belongs and we invite people from all backgrounds to apply. Planet is an equal opportunity employer, and committed to providing employment opportunities regardless of race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected classification, in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local laws.
Planet is an inclusive community and we know that everyone has their own needs. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation during the interview process, please call Planet's front office at 669-214-9404 or contact your recruiter with your request. Your message will be confidential and we will be happy to assist you.
Compensation (only applicable for Colorado applicants):
The base pay range targeted for this position in Colorado is: $116,100 - $187,200. This role is eligible for equity.
The actual offer, including the compensation package, is determined based on multiple factors, including experience, location, and other business considerations.
Planet is registered as an employer in many, but not all, states. If you are not able to work from a state where Planet is registered, you will not be eligible for employment.
Please mention the word **HILARIOUS** and tag RMTk1LjIwLjI0MS40OQ== when applying to show you read the job post completely (#RMTk1LjIwLjI0MS40OQ==). This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human.
The offering company is responsible for the content on this page / the job offer.
Source: Remote Ok