Posted 7 Feb 2024, 4:00 pm
Engineering Manager Product Platform M4 at Sourcegraph
🌎 Given that we are an all-remote company and hire almost anywhere in the world, we don’t have a location requirement for this role. However, your working hours must overlap with EST for at least 10 hours/week.
Why this job is exciting
At Sourcegraph, we see code syncing & storage, code search, and the code graph as big data challenges. We handle tasks like indexing multi-terabyte monorepos, querying and searching clusters of hundreds of thousands of repos, providing fast & high-quality ranking, and extracting a code graph which is used throughout our products.
As Engineering Manager, Product Platform, you’ll utilize both your leadership skills and technical acumen. You will be instrumental in propelling Sourcegraph’s Code Search product to become the “Google of Code Search”. You will help support Cody to become the top AI coding assistant. You will lead a team of high-agency, self-directed team mates and will have opportunities to dive in and be deeply technical yourself. You will report directly into the Head of Engineering - Search & Foundations.
Your deep experience in high-scale sharded-computation will help us define the scalability story for our source code syncing and search engine. Your experience in programming language tooling will help us extract a code graph that can be used to power a platform that drives everything from search and navigation to providing the best context for an LLM.
📅 Within one month, you will…
- Take responsibility for three distributed, FAANG-bar teams, roughly nine engineers, and lead them as a front-line manager. Your organization will grow as the company grows.
- Work closely with other Engineering department heads on cross-functional initiatives that touch Code Search and Cody.
📅 Within three months, you will…
- Identify any gaps you see in the Engineering org and help address them in an appropriate way, bringing prior experience to bear in recommending and driving solutions.
- Build a variety of systems, many of which are systems that you yourself may already know we need, and are not listed here. A few examples include:
- a hybrid search architecture which combines modern ML and traditional search techniques for natural language search
- extending our code graph to cover an ever growing set of languages with every easier configuration
- a scalable system for syncing any type of data relevant for Cody or Code Search data
📅 Within six months, you will…
- Champion customer engagement in all phases of design, development and deployment.
📅 Within one year, you will…
- Have hired and retained exceptional people to make our team even more representative of the world’s population.
- Collaborate with product and engineering leadership to develop the next set of ambitious goals that your org should work towards.
- Develop a clear technical and execution strategy to achieve that next set of goals.
You are a technical, customer-driven manager who works from a place of compassion and curiosity. You have experience working with highly technical customers across business sectors. You can work across departments to align requirements and priorities from a broad set of engineering, product, and business stakeholders. You are strongly aligned with our values, inspired by our mission to make it so that everyone can code, and motivated to do your best work at Sourcegraph.
You find joy in solving complex technical problems at scale. You have personal domain expertise with more than one of distributed systems, search and indexing, or programming language tooling such as compilers, build tools, static/semantic analysis, or language servers. You may not code everyday, but you are eager to jump into the code for anything from answering a customer question to fixing a bug to adding some new functionality.
- You have at least 4 years of experience managing engineering teams and 5 years of hands-on coding experience.You have held a high technical bar for teammates as well as yourself.
- You have relevant domain knowledge and experience in one or more of the following areas: distributed systems, search and indexing, or compilers and language tools
- You can work effectively across multiple programming languages with and without prior experience.
- You share our values, and work in accordance with those values.
Nice to haves:
- You have worked with search quality
- You have experience with machine learning
- You have worked with technologies such as Go, git, Kubernetes, GraphQL, PostgreSQL, AWS, GCP (or equivalent).
📊 This job is an M4. You can read more about our job leveling philosophy in our Handbook.
💸 We pay you an above-average salary because we want to hire the best people who are fully focused on helping Sourcegraph succeed, not worried about paying bills. You will have the flexibility to work and live anywhere in the world (unless specified otherwise in the job description), and we’ll never take your location or current/past salary information into account when determining your compensation. As an open and transparent company that values equitable and competitive compensation for everyone, our compensation ranges are visible to every single Sourcegraph Teammate. To determine your salary, we use a number of market and data-driven salary sources and target the high-end of the range, ensuring that we’re always paying above market regardless of where you live in the world.
💰 The target compensation for this role is $240,000 USD base.
📈 In addition to our cash compensation, we offer equity (because when we succeed as a company, we want you to succeed, too) and generous perks & benefits.
Below is the interview process you can expect for this role (you can read more about the types of interviews in our Handbook). It may look like a lot of steps, but rest assured that we move quickly and the steps are designed to help you get the information needed to determine if we’re the right fit for you… Interviewing is a two-way street, after all!
We expect the interview process to take 6.5 hours in total.
👋 Introduction Stage - we have initial conversations to get to know you better…
- [30m] Recruiter Screen with Devon Coords
- [60m] Technical Screen / Resume Deep Dive with Julie Tibshirani
🧑💻 Team Interview Stage - we then delve into your experience in more depth and introduce you to members of the team…
- [15m] Hiring Manager Intro with Erika Rice Scherpelz
- [45m] Cross-team collaboration & technical screen with Kalan Chan
- [60m] Technical Interview with Anton Sviridov & Erik Seliger
- [60m] Peer Interview / Values Interview with Peter Guy & Nelson Araujo
🎉 Final Interview Stage - we move you to our final round, where you meet cross-functional partners and gain a better understanding of our business and values holistically…
- [30m] Hiring Manager Interview with Erika Rice Scherpelz
- [30m] Co-founder Interview with Quinn Slack or Beyang Liu
- [30m] Closing meeting with Carly Jones
- We check references and conduct your background check
Please mention the word **FOND** and tag RMTA3LjE3OC4yMzIuMTcy when applying to show you read the job post completely (#RMTA3LjE3OC4yMzIuMTcy). This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human.
The offering company is responsible for the content on this page / the job offer.
Source: Remote Ok