Posted 30 Jan 2024, 4:00 pm
Impact Research Intern at Newsela
As an intern on Newsela’s Research Team, you will partner closely with the Lead Research Analyst to help investigate and document Newsela’s educational effectiveness. You will leverage your statistical and technical expertise to conduct quantitative research on student outcomes. You will also use your data visualization and communication skills to develop reports that showcase how Newsela helps kids achieve. This role is a great opportunity for a current graduate student or early-career researcher to apply and develop their technical and science communication skills in an industry setting while answering questions that have real-world implications for students across the United States.
- Research experience in any of the following fields: learning analytics / educational data mining, education, psychology, communications, child development, cognitive science, or related field
- Fluency using R for statistical analysis and data visualization (especially tidyverse)
- Fundamental statistics knowledge and skills
- Familiarity with basic SQL (e.g., JOINs, aggregate functions)
- Strong data visualization skills (ggplot2)
- Background or interest in educational research
- Core values including impact, learning, integrity, empowerment, diversity, passion, and selflessness
Bonus Points For:
- Familiarity with markdown syntax (e.g., Rmarkdown)
- Experience preparing data visualizations for audiences with varying data literacy
- Experience with multilevel/hierarchical modeling
The internship is fully remote. Total compensation will be based on hours worked at a rate of $35/hour. This position will be either full-time (40 hours per week) or part-time (20 hours per week), depending on candidate availability. Start and end dates are flexible, as is the total duration of the internship.
One of the fastest growing tech companies in K-12 education, Newsela was founded on the principle that while every child may have unique learning preferences, they all deserve a rich learning experience that ignites a love of learning. We built our platform based on learning science research to deliver the most engaging, authentic content to modernize how teaching happens in the classroom. Along with interactive assessments and tools, we provide teachers with digital content at five reading levels -- from +100 of the best sources -- that is relevant to the diverse backgrounds and interests of their students. Since we started in 2013, we’ve established a presence in 90% of U.S. K-12 schools and over 2.5M teachers and 37M students have registered with Newsela.
Please mention the word **FELICITY** and tag RMTA3LjE3OC4yMDAuMjMx when applying to show you read the job post completely (#RMTA3LjE3OC4yMDAuMjMx). This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human.
The offering company is responsible for the content on this page / the job offer.
Source: Remote Ok