Posted 29 Jan 2024, 7:00 am
Head of Global Audio at The Athletic Media Company
The Athletic is a digital sports media company that brings true sports fans closer to the athletes, teams and leagues that captivate their attention. We serve a multi-faceted audience that craves a richer connection and understanding with immersive storytelling and a like-minded community of fans. Founded in 2016 and with major operational hubs in San Francisco, Los Angeles, London and Melbourne, we empower a truly global team of more than 600 creators and cover more than 250 professional sports and collegiate teams across the United States, Canada and the UK. Our newsroom has produced thousands of in-depth reports along with more than 120 podcasts and other forms of premium content. Put simply, The Athletic is at the center of a sports fan’s universe.
About the Role
The Athletic has one of the world’s leading sports podcast networks, and we are looking for an industry leader and creative visionary to push our podcasts into its next successful phase. The Head of Global Audio will have creative accountability for all The Athletic podcasts, in addition to leading the North American and International teams. This leader will be tasked with developing the highest quality audio shows that fit The Athletic’s journalistic sensibility and also can reach large and engaged audiences - both evolving existing shows and new. Central to this creative success will be the leadership of our audio teams globally, pushing their creative capabilities and creating a culture in which their teams can thrive.\n
- Manage the production and growth teams with regular check in and manage the staff of the entire audio department.
- Partner with leadership to set ambitious goals and manage the team effectively toward those goals, with wide latitude in how goals are accomplished.
- Understand where tradeoffs need to happen across shows and be proactive with solutions.
- Build podcasts with a diverse set of hosts and guests.
- Curate formats, shows, and hosts that will offer subscribers a distinctive, high quality and entertaining experience that helps drive commercial revenue.
- Think about properties as franchises, and come up with new ways to build audience/promote network growth.
- Partner with vertical leads across the newsroom to align with and complement our editorial strategy
- Work with the Managing Editor of video to develop a video strategy around our audio properties that serves as both a complement to audio and a new platform to build original Athletic content.
- Work closely with the commercial team to monetize content and create strong, long lasting brand partnerships.
- Serve as the connective tissue between audio production and the heads of all other departments within the company to ensure that the audio team’s output is appropriately supported, promoted, and monetized.
- Develop meaningful relationships with leaders throughout HQ.
- Provide input into the organization of the production team to ensure the team is set up to achieve its ambitious growth targets while staying within budget.
- 10+ years of experience producing a national broadcast in an audio or video format.
- A track record when it comes to launching and sustaining successful podcasts or video series.
- Expert knowledge of a wide range of audio formats and distribution channels. Has a finger on the pulse of industry trends and can see ahead 12-18 months.
- Has a deep understanding of sports with a fluency in how topics are covered and discussed by fans. Has an ear for high quality creative output that resonates with listeners.
- Is an excellent leader who enjoys facilitating the personal development of colleagues.
- Self-starter with great time management skills.
- Strong attention to detail and highly organized.
- Ability to execute in the short term while planning long term.
- Ability to make difficult decisions for the good of the business.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- This is a remote-based position in the United States, United Kingdom or Canada that may require some travel.
The annual base salary range for this role is $185,000.00 - $200,000.00 USD. The total compensation offered for this position may vary based on factors such as education, experience, skills, and location. It may also include non-cash rewards and benefits. The base salary range is subject to change and may be modified in the future.
The Athletic offers unique perks and benefits to all full-time employees based on their country of residence. Our comprehensive US benefits package includes:
- Highly competitive, employer-contributed medical, dental, vision, basic life and disability insurance plans.
- Savings accounts for medical, wellness, and childcare expenses.
- 401k retirement savings plan and employer match.
- Paid time off including paid sick leave, 12 paid holidays, 15 days of accrued vacation to start, and up to 20 weeks of Paid Parental Leave.
For international candidates: Our global benefits packages offer similar benefits and perks, competitive to the local market.
The Athletic Media Company is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from all backgrounds and experiences to apply. The Athletic will consider all applicants without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or any other protected characteristic under applicable law.
Click here to review our Applicant Privacy Notice, which describes how and when The Athletic Media Company collects, uses, and shares certain personal information of job applicants and prospective employees.
Beware of fraudulent job recruiting schemes! Our recruiters use firstname.lastname@example.org exclusively. We do not conduct interviews via text or instant message and we do not ask candidates to download software, to purchase equipment through us, or to provide sensitive personally identifiable information, such as bank accounts or social security numbers. If you have been contacted by someone claiming to be a recruiter with The Athletic but operating from a different email address about a job offer, please report it as potential job fraud to the law enforcement and to email@example.com.
Please mention the word **BLISS** and tag RNTIuODguMjQ2LjI1 when applying to show you read the job post completely (#RNTIuODguMjQ2LjI1). This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human.
The offering company is responsible for the content on this page / the job offer.
Source: Remote Ok