Posted 29 Jan 2024, 10:00 am
Data Engineer ð¦ð at Octopus Energy Group
About Octopus Energy
Since 2015, Octopus has been on a mission to bring affordable, green energy to the world. With the help of our in-house developed technology platform, Kraken, we’ve become the 2nd largest energy supplier in the UK and licensed our software to retail giants including E.ON in the UK, Origin Energy in Australia and Tokyo Gas in Japan. We’ve reinvented energy products with smart, data-driven tariffs to balance customer demand with renewable generation - and we’re the biggest investor in renewable generation in the UK.
We've since expanded our tentacles to Australia, and we are now looking for Data Engineer, based in Melbourne. Working with Octopus Energy is a chance to join an exciting scale-up business within the energy supply sector, one that’s at the forefront of changing the landscape of the energy industry across the world. A role with us offers you the chance to contribute to building world-class operations that will catapult you into a fantastic career.
About the team
At Octopus we have developed a platform to provide data services to our retail businesses and clients across 14 deployments globally. The data platform engineering team develops and manages the back-end systems and processes supporting this platform, predominantly working with time-series data fed into the system by our customers’ smart meters. We have developed a suite of applications to process, transform, and make this data available to downstream services. To process the volume of data we typically see, our applications run PySpark or dbt jobs using Databricks as our Spark engine. We also leverage Airflow and Kubernetes heavily. We also employ software engineering best practices to design, test, and deploy our data platform and services.
More about the role
This is a fantastic opportunity to work on data problems that genuinely move us closer to Net Zero with a company that is passionate about building great technology to change the way customers use energy. As a data engineer, you will be responsible for supporting the constant improvement of our data systems. As well as working on our core datalake transformations you may be developing custom applications to process third-party data, managing infrastructure in our AWS deployment, or working to expand our presence across our APAC (Australia, New Zealand, Japan) deployments.
- Supporting the development of our core PySpark applications
- Supporting the development of our dbt models
- Building and maintaining data pipelines in Airflow
- Responding to internal requests for tooling and data pipelines
More about you, our ideal candidate
We are looking for someone who will self-manage, adapt to our changing business requirements, and proactively work to scope problems and deliver pragmatic solutions.
Ideally, you have experience:
- Building applications in Python
- Working in a Spark or Databricks environment
- Working in a software or data engineering environment
We also want our data engineers to be great software engineers with a passion for writing quality code, so it would be helpful to have experience in at least some of the following:
- Cloud data platforms (Ideally AWS)
- Version control and DevOps best practices\n
What you will love about us
- Our company culture - We are organisation where people learn, decide, and build quicker. Where people work with autonomy, alongside a wide range of amazing co-owners, on projects that break new ground. We want your hard work to be rewarded with perks you actually care about! We won best company to work for in 2022, on Glassdoor we were voted 50 best places to work in 2022 and our Group CEO, Greg has recorded a podcast about our culture and how we empower our people.
- Flexible working environment - genuine work life balance here, we are in the top 5 companies in the UK, we treat you as a human, and do our best to make work and life merge smoothly together
- Equity Options Scheme - you own your own part of the business, share options in the whole Octopus Energy Group so we all work together towards success
- Office - have a certain tech requirement? We’ll do our best to get it. We also have drinks, snacks and a coffee machine at the WeWork office space.
- Your development is important - we support and help with development including internal and external courses, learning, study support etc, all bespoke to you
We would prefer someone who can work in our Melbourne office hybrid / remote of 1-2 days a week onsite but it's not a deal breaker. You do need to have the rights to work in Australia.
We're very excited to be growing our team. We're looking for skills and experience to help shape and define the future of not only our team, but the wider business at a global scale. If you're reading this and grinning, please apply! There are huge challenges to tackle, and we need amazing people who are keen to get stuck in.
Please mention the word **EFFUSIVENESS** and tag RNTIuODguMjQ2LjI1 when applying to show you read the job post completely (#RNTIuODguMjQ2LjI1). This is a beta feature to avoid spam applicants. Companies can search these words to find applicants that read this and see they're human.
The offering company is responsible for the content on this page / the job offer.
Source: Remote Ok